Every Thanksgiving serves as an opportune time to think about the things for which we are thankful.
Common answers include family and friends, a roof over your head and a full belly, but I think it’s also important to be grateful for the little things we often overlook.
Here’s my B-list of things I’m thankful for:
• The last London City Council meeting ended early enough last week that I had time to pick up won-ton soup from Happy Wok.
• A pair of black tights without any holes in them.
• Pizza. No further explanation required.
• The guy at Subway who has my order memorized. He saves me a good 30 seconds every week.
• Getting old enough to not be carded every time. Ask me how I feel about this in another 10 years.
• When the plastic wrap tears in a perfectly straight line and doesn’t stick to itself.
• A perfectly accurate Fortune Cookie reading.
• Summertime stuff in Ohio like homegrown tomatoes, sunburns and sunsets.
• The $10 bill I found in my winter coat from last year. Because that’s exciting.
• Chris Stapleton’s recent performance of “Tennesse Whiskey” at the Country Music Awards.
• Dog hair in my bed, because it means I have a furry best friend to cuddle with every night.
• Lint rollers, because dog hair sticks to business dresses and suits.
• That pulled pork sandwich I ate on the first Sunday night of the county fair. Still thinking about that.
• The snooze button.
• Chocolate from the London Federation of Women’s Club’s candy shoppe.
• The fact that the mirror does not go all the way across the wall at Xpress Fitness in the ZUMBA room. Because I really do not want to see myself trying to do a Cha-Cha booty shake in double time.
• Wine. I don’t have to explain this to you.
• Finding the perfect item on the clearance rack when you’re prepared to pay full price.
• When every sock coming out of the dryer has a mate.
• Public records requests filled with full cooperation.
• The phrase “LOL” when someone texts me something awkward and I don’t know how else to respond.
• Every animated GIF featuring Jennifer Lawrence, because she’s hilarious.
• Nailing the high note when I’m singing in the car.
• Snapchat. And Snapchat’s new filters.
• Politicians providing the perfect quote during a fiery discussion.
• Winning any amount of money on a scratch-off lottery ticket
• Butter that is perfectly softened.
• Nice comments on The Madison Press website and Facebook page. (Thank you, all three of you.)
• When the wi-fi automatically connects and I don’t have to remember the password.
• Handwritten letters.
• Good advice right when I needed it, but didn’t want to hear it.
Here are a few things I’m not thankful for:
• Changing my last name. Again.
• Cold floors during winter.
• Ohio State’s loss to Michigan State.
• Uninformed complainers on the Internet, especially on Facebook.
• Having a birthday so close to Christmas.
• People who don’t return phone calls.
• The weight I’m going to gain from eating all that chocolate from the London Federation of Women’s Club’s candy shoppe.
• Forgetting to ask for no bleu cheese on my salad.
• Winter Ohio things like driving in the snow, walking in the snow and dressing for the snow. Really, just snow in general.
• Feeling very old on a college campus.
• Candidates in the 2016 presidential election.
• Nicki Minaj. ‘Nuff said.
• Pickle jars too tight to open.
• Accidentally turning on my phone camera in selfie mode and seeing my double chin staring back.
Andrea Chaffin is the editor of The Madison Press. She can be reached at 740-852-1616, ext. 1619 or via Twitter @AndeeWrites.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU