The London Middle School Robotics Club was present at the Board of Education meeting for the London City School District Tuesday. Students Jake Belmont and Derek Moore gave a demonstration of their bots with assistance from club advisor and teacher, Xavier Burgstaller.
The students were present to provide background on the club as well as information about the year’s upcoming competitions.
“Xavier is a really passionate teacher about that stuff,” said Superintendent Dr. Lou Kramer. “And we have really passionate students as well.” The robotics club started last year in the middle school and through planning and gathering of equipment, was able to grow into what it is today. The students are preparing for some local competitions put on by VEX Robotics and, according to Dr. Kramer, the kids are ahead of schedule on their preparations this year.
Board members also recognized the contributions of district organizations such as the Academic, Music, and Athletic Boosters, the Touchdown Club, and the elementary and middle school Parent/Teacher Organizations by awarding certificates of appreciation to each of the group presidents.
“As a school district, I think we are really blessed to have so many great people to volunteer with our kids,” Kramer said. “We like to take this time in September to highlight what these organizations do for our students.”
Other business for Tuesday night’s meeting included:
• Approval of the overnight trip to the FFA National Convention in Indianapolis, Indiana from Oct. 25-28.
• Approval of the overnight trip for eighth grade class to Washington, D.C. from May 15-18.
• Approval for the overnight trip for sixth grade class to Camp Nuhop Outdoor Education Center from March 21-23.
• Approval of settlement agreement with the State Board of Education/Ohio Department of Education, resolving all unsettled issues regarding London Academy.
• Recognition of the Booster Support Groups in the district for the 2017-18 school year.
The Board of Education will meet again, Tuesday, Oct. 10.
Reach Michael Williamson at 740-852-1616, ext. 1619.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU