The Jefferson Local Schools Board of Education held a regular meeting Monday. The following took place:
• Board member Dr. Meg Hiss was presented the milestone award by the Ohio School Board Association for 15 years of service.
• Professional meetings and workshops were approved for JLS employees.
• The following donations were approved: $10,000 to the Norwood Elementary Library from the estate of former employee John Conway; $750 to Norwood Elementary from Verizon on behalf of employee Jennifer Sesler for her volunteer time at the school; $1,000 to West Jefferson High School from Jefferson Industries Corporation for the JIC scholarship award.
• The first reading of an amendment of the student wellness policy was presented. Superintendent William Mullett said the changes were to accommodate state changes.
• Bus routes for the 2015-2016 school year were approved.
• The resignations of Kristen Kearns as fifth grade spelling contest advisor and Kevin Cutler as high school freshman football coach were approved for the 2015-2016 school year.
• Rachel Stanley was approved as the high school ED teacher, effective in the 2015-2016 school year.
• Tammy Sapp was approved as an elementary teacher for 2015-2016 on a one-year contract.
• Molly Gribben and Pavlo Ryzhyy were approved as summer workers for the technology department for about 20 hours per week at $8.50 per hour.
• Eric Humphries, Kelinda Flory and Brad Roe were approved as summer school teachers. They will not exceed 23 hours per teacher.
Brandon Semler can be reached at 740-852-1616, ext. 1615 or via Twitter @BrandonSemler.