The Jonathan Alder Board of Education has given the nod to plans for an artificial turf athletic field at the high school.
Private fundraising over the next two years is expected to cover the $550,000 project, according to Rayce Robinson, an Alder alumnus and chairman of the Alder Field Turf Committee at the board meeting Monday night.
If the committee fails to meet that goal, all donations will be returned to the donors.
The school board retains the right to design and develop the new field. Alder’s athletic boosters and the committee will track donations and provide monthly reports to the board.
Robinson said supporters are enthusiastic and 25 to 30 percent of the needed money is already in the bank. Early commitments included $50,000 from Der Dutchman restaurants and $25,000 from contractor Alan Shepherd. He expects to approach other prospective high-dollar donors in the next few weeks.
Special recognition and advertising opportunities will go to contributors of $5,000, $10,000, $25,000, $50,000 and $100,000.
The committee launched a Facebook video (facebook.com/AlderFieldTurf/) to explain the project on Monday. A website where donors can make contributions (email@example.com) will be up and running by Friday.
“We are ready to rock and roll,” Robinson said.
In other meeting business on Monday, school board members:
• Raised the daily wage for substitute teachers in the district from $97 to $105.
• Approved bus routes for the upcoming school year.
• Renewed lease agreements with the Vineyard Church and Daily Needs Assistance of Plain City for the former Plain City Elementary Building at 340 W. Main St.
• Approved one-year service plans for building automation services at Monroe Elementary School and Jonathan Alder High School.
• Renewed a maintenance agreement with Cummins Sales & Service for fire protection equipment at Canaan Middle School, Monroe Elementary School and Jonathan Alder High School.
• Appointed Christine Blacka as delegate to the Ohio School Board Association and Capital Conference. Mary Jo Boyd will serve as alternate.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU