On Monday, a Myrtle Beach man was sentenced in Madison County Common Pleas Court to nine months in prison for possessing heroin while traveling on Interstate 70 in the county.
Zachary Smith, 33, and his father were reportedly traveling from Michigan to their home state of South Carolina on April 2 when the traffic stop took place.
Smith pleaded guilty to a single count of drug possession in May. His father, Arnold Smith, served jail time in May and was released. The elder Smith was represented by Dale Frenz.
Frenz also represented Zachary at Monday’s hearing. Frenz requested that his client be credited for two months already served at Tri-County Regional Jail. But, assistant county prosecutor Nick Adkins recommended a prison sentence.
The Smith vehicle was stopped for non-operating windshield wipers (it was raining) or headlights. It also picked up a lane violation, according to assistant county prosecutor Nick Adkins.
Also in common pleas court Monday:
• Bradley Someillan, 20, of Urbana, attended his informal pretrial hearing. He is charged with a single count of improper use of a firearm.
His formal pretrial hearing is currently scheduled for June 23.
• Marcus Pritchett, 26, of Dayton, attended his formal pretrial hearing. He is charged with a single count of improper use of a firearm. The hearing was continued to June 16.
Pritchett is in jail for allegedly violating his signature bond. He’s being held on a $10,000 cash surety bond.
• Ashley Hall, 29, of London, pleaded guilty to a single count of theft. Her sentencing hearing is scheduled for Tuesday, June 9.
• William Hammond, 42, of Plain City, pleaded guilty to a single count of theft. His sentencing hearing is currently scheduled for July 6.
• Jamie Smith, 38, of Mount Sterling, pleaded guilty to a single count of drug possession. His sentencing hearing is currently scheduled for July 6.
Brandon Semler can be reached at 740-852-1616, ext. 1615 or via Twitter @BrandonSemler.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU