The hearing for Jefferson Industries Corporation’s (JIC) appeal to have its property value reduced will likely begin in the Ohio Supreme Court later this summer.
Jefferson Local Schools (JLS) Superintendent William Mullett said at Monday’s regular school board meeting that the issue is ongoing, and the hearing will probably take place over the summer.
“It’s of great interest to all of us,” Mullett said. “There’s a (lot) at stake.”
The automobile parts manufacturing company, located on State Route 29 in West Jefferson, is challenging its $28 million property value determined by the Madison County Auditor’s Office.
The company is requesting the 685,000-square-foot property be valued at slightly more than $10 million, almost a third less than the county’s current assessment.
The case has gone through the Madison County Board of Revision, the Ohio Board of Tax Appeals and will now go to the Ohio Supreme Court.
Mullett said JIC has continued to file appeals, recently filing for the tax year 2014. Mullett said JLS will have to continue fighting it, losing money to legal fees and appraisals along the way.
“We have to contest this because we are talking about literally hundreds of thousands of dollars,” Mullett said.
Also at the meeting Monday:
• Classified substitutes were approved for the 2015-2016 school year.
• The following donations were approved: Miscellaneous items to Jefferson Local School from the West Jefferson Music Boosters valued at $3,425; 55 marching band uniforms to Jefferson Local Schools from the West Jefferson Music Boosters valued at $21,622.76.
• The EFG/Student Wellness Program’s policy amendment was approved.
• The following resignations were approved: John McClain as middle school/high school vocal teacher, effective Aug. 13, 2015; Paula Clemmons as math coach, effective immediately.
• Bread and milk bids were approved.
• The following administrators were approved to conduct teacher evaluations for the 2015-2016 school year: Dave Metz, Debbie Omen, Sue Barte, Andrea Buescher and Jennifer Merb.
• The employment of Rachel Herman on a one-year contract as 6-12 vocal music teacher was approved effective Aug. 12, 2015.
• Melissa Holloway, Heather Bonham, Wanda Morgan and Alexandra Olsen were approved as Norwood summer school teachers for 2015.
• Trudi Young and Melissa Jones were approved as summer school aides for 2015.
• An extracurricular contract for Sherry Chamberlain as spelling contest advisor was approved.
Brandon Semler can be reached at 740-852-1616, ext. 1615 or via Twitter @BrandonSemler.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU