The Latest: Police seeking suspect in fatal school shooting

BELTSVILLE, Md. (AP) — The Latest on a shooting on a high school parking lot that left a woman dead and a man hurt (all times local):

7 p.m.

Police say officers are looking for a man who shot and killed a woman and injured a bystander outside a high school in suburban Washington.

Prince George’s County Police Chief Henry Stawinski III said at a news conference Thursday that the woman who was killed and the man who shot her knew each other. But investigators don’t know the nature of their relationship.

The chief says the incident began about 4:40 p.m. at High Point High School in Beltsville. He says a woman who was picking up children at the school was confronted by a man and they got into an altercation.

Stawinski says a male bystander approached the two, and the man shot him in the shoulder. Police say the man then fatally shot the woman and drove off.

The chief says the firearm, believed to be a handgun, was not recovered.

Officials say the incident was recorded on school surveillance video.


6:50 p.m.

Officers are looking for a male suspect who shot and killed a woman and wounded a man outside a high school in suburban Washington, police said.

The Prince George’s County Police Department said on its Twitter account that the shooting appears to be domestic related.

The county fire department said the shooting took place at High Point High School in Beltsville.

No students or staff were injured, according to public schools spokeswoman Sherrie Johnson. She didn’t know what, if any, activities were going on at the school at the time of the shooting.

The wounded man’s injuries were not believed to be life-threatening, fire department spokesman Mark Brady said. He provided the information in a recording on his voicemail.

Late Thursday afternoon, the road to the school was closed in both directions, and dozens of police cars were at the scene along with a mobile command unit.

A police helicopter hovered over the football field, and the school grounds appeared largely deserted as pedestrians walked up and down the street.