Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Friday:
1. IMPORTANT TEST FOR TRUMP IN WISCONSIN
A big loss in next week’s state primary would greatly reduce his chances of securing the delegates he needs to clinch the GOP nomination before next July’s national convention.
2. WORLD LEADERS GATHER AT NUCLEAR SUMMIT
The conference in Washington during its first day produces a pledge by the U.S. and China to cooperate to confront the North Korean nuclear threat.
3. WHICH SPORTS STARS ARE DEMANDING EQUAL PAY
Carli Lloyd and four of her teammates on the World Cup-winning U.S. women’s soccer team file a wage discrimination complaint, noting that they are paid far less than members of the U.S. men’s team.
4. EUROPE’S FAR RIGHT GETS BOOST
Bloody attacks by Islamic extremists like the one in Brussels last week “are fuel to the fire of every radical right-wing party,” one expert says.
5. WHERE MINIMUM WAGE IS RISING SHARPLY
California Gov. Jerry Brown says he’ll sign a bill upping by 2022 the statewide minimum wage to $15 an hour, highest in the nation.
6. INVESTIGATORS TARGET WRONGDOING IN OIL INDUSTRY
The “vast corruption scandal” allegedly involves millions of dollars in bribes paid by well-known multinational companies to secure contracts.
7. VETERAN MIAMI OFFICER TAKING OVER AS POLICE CHIEF IN FERGUSON, MISSOURI
With the hiring of Delrish Moss, the new city manager, municipal judge and police chief are all black men in a heavily minority city whose leadership had been mostly white.
8. GUNFIRE SPREADS PANIC AT BUS STATION IN RICHMOND, VA.
A gunman fatally wounds a trooper at the busy terminal in the state capital before he’s shot dead by two other troopers.
9. HALF OF COMEDY’S ‘TWO RONNIES’ DIES AT 85
Ronnie Corbett teamed with Ronnie Barker, who died in 2005, for the beloved comedy show that was a staple of British TV for more than 40 years.
10. WHY IT’S VALENTINE’S DAY
Denzel Valentine of Michigan State is named the AP’s Player of the Year, edging Oklahoma’s Buddy Hield in a close vote.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU