The Latest: Activists to rally after decision in Clark case


MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The Latest on an expected decision on whether charges will be filed in the death of Jamar Clark, a 24-year-old black man who died after he was shot Nov. 15 by Minneapolis police (all times local):

9:30 a.m.

Activists in Minneapolis are planning demonstrations to react to an anticipated decision on whether a Minnesota prosecutor will file charges against two officers involved in November’s fatal shooting of a black man.

Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman will announce Wednesday morning whether he’ll file charges in the death of 24-year-old Jamar Clark, who was shot by police on Nov. 15 during what authorities called a struggle. Some witnesses said Clark wasn’t struggling and was handcuffed. He died a day later.

Protesters are demanding charges against Officers Mark Ringgenberg and Dustin Schwarze.

The Twin Cities Coalition 4 Justice 4 Jamar will rally at 5 p.m. near the site of Clark’s shooting on the north side of Minneapolis. The Black Liberation Project and Black Lives Matter Minneapolis are holding a rally at 6 p.m. in Minneapolis’ Elliot Park, on the southeast side of downtown.

___

8:15 a.m.

A Minneapolis prosecutor is set to announce whether two police officers will be charged in the fatal shooting of a black man last November.

Spokesman Chuck Laszewski says Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman plans to announce his decision in the death of 24-year-old Jamar Clark at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday.

Clark was shot Nov. 15 during what authorities called a struggle with Officers Mark Ringgenberg and Dustin Schwarze. But some people who say they saw the shooting have said Clark wasn’t struggling and was handcuffed. He died a day later.

Clark’s shooting prompted protests in Minneapolis, including an 18-day encampment outside a north side police precinct.

Freeman first planned to use a grand jury to decide on charges, but earlier this month announced he would make the decision himself.