Fire officials: 1 dead in ammonia leak at seafood warehouse


BOSTON (AP) — Authorities say a worker died in an ammonia leak from a seafood warehouse in the Seaport District in south Boston.

Fire officials say the man was working in the warehouse and emergency responders were unable to reach him at first because of strong fumes.

The leak was reported near the end of a work shift about 6 p.m. Wednesday at Stavis Seafoods Warehouse. The leak was coming from 5,400-pound tank but officials didn’t know how much ammonia had escaped.

A hazmat team wearing protective suits shut off a main valve and stopped the leak within hours.

Fire Chief of Operations John Walsh told WCVB television station the public wasn’t in danger.

But as a precaution, nearby streets were closed off and businesses and residents were advised to shelter in place.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU