HIGHLAND PARK, Ill. (AP) — A security camera inside a suburban Chicago home recorded a hoverboard catching fire shortly after a child left the house, which was extensively damaged by the blaze.
Homeowner Dan Perper says the video shows his 11-year-old daughter grabbing her soccer bag and leaving for practice just before the fire ignited on Feb. 16. Authorities believe the fire was caused by the hoverboard’s batteries.
Perper says he found his Highland Park home in flames and says it’s a miracle no one was hurt. The family dog, Ozzy, is recovering from smoke inhalation.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is investigating fires tied to hoverboards in at least 19 states.
The motorized scooters are made by several manufacturers. Three U.S. airlines have banned them, citing potential fire danger from their lithium-ion batteries.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU