NEWARK, N.J. (AP) — A group of media organizations including The Associated Press says the government has no good reason to block release of a list of unindicted co-conspirators in the George Washington Bridge lane-closing scandal.
The media organizations went to court last month seeking the list of people prosecutors believe were involved but weren’t charged in the conspiracy by aides to Republican New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie to close traffic lanes for political retribution against a Democratic mayor.
The list had been submitted by prosecutors to defense lawyers and a judge. Federal prosecutors asked the judge to deny the request.
The media groups said in their filing Friday the government is disregarding established law in favor of the suggestion the “government knows best.”
Christie has denied any prior knowledge of the scheme to create the traffic jams in 2013.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU