UNITED NATIONS (AP) — Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon says he still has “very strong concerns” about the protection of children in Yemen and stands by a report that saw the Saudi Arabia-led coalition being added to a U.N. blacklist for killing and injuring about 1,200 children last year.
Ban said he temporarily removed the U.S.-backed coalition from the blacklist in June pending a joint review of cases because its supporters threatened to stop funding many U.N. programs. He told the Security Council Tuesday that “the forward-looking review continues — and the situation on the ground will be closely monitored.”
Ban said he held talks with high-level Saudi officials and received information about coalition measures to protect Yemeni children.
He said this engagement will continue “to ensure that concrete measures to protect children are implemented.”
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU