BERLIN (AP) — The Latest on migration to Europe from Middle East and Africa (all times local):
The International Organization for Migration says the bodies of about 120 migrants have washed up on the Libyan shore in recent days.
A spokesman for the Geneva-based aid agency says the information came from Libyan authorities and the deaths “are not from previously reported shipwrecks in the Mediterranean.”
Joel Millman said Tuesday that 4,027 migrants died worldwide between Jan. 1 and July 31, about three-quarters of them in the Mediterranean.
He says the figure represents a 35 percent increase compared with the same period last year.
Germany’s Federal Office for Statistics says some 42,300 unaccompanied minors entered the country from abroad last year.
The office said in a statement Tuesday that this was an increase of 30,700, or 263 percent, compared with the previous year.
About 91 percent, or some 38,700, of these children and teenagers were male, while only about 3,600 girls entered Germany without their parents.
Germany saw an unprecedented influx of migrants in 2015. More than 1 million people registered for asylum, the majority of them from Syria, Afghanistan and Iraq.
Unaccompanied refugee children are normally taken into care by the country’s youth welfare offices.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU