Fernandez’s daughter appeals decision to seize her money


BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) — The daughter of former President Cristina Fernandez on Thursday appealed a judge’s order authorizing the seizure of more than $5 million as part of an investigation into alleged money laundering.

Argentine officials last week opened a bank safe deposit box belonging to the 26-year-old daughter, Florencia Kirchner, at her request in an effort to clear her name.

Kirchner’s lawyer, Carlos Beraldi, filed the appeal seeking to overturn the seizure of $4.6 million found in the safe deposit box and about $1 million more from bank accounts belonging to Fernandez’s daughter.

Kirchner has said that she has nothing to hide and that the money is partly from the inheritance left by her father, former President Nestor Kirchner, who died in 2010. She says all the cash had been previously listed in sworn declarations as well as before Argentina’s anti-corruption office.

Fernandez has called the probe “a media show,” saying the money belongs to her family. She says that it came from changing savings in pesos to dollars and that she recently declared the sum to authorities.

A local court judge is trying to determine whether Fernandez’s family received payments through hotels it owns in southern Argentina from businessmen who benefited from the granting of public works contracts. Prosecutors say the alleged scheme would have allowed the money to be laundered.

The case was launched after local lawmaker Margarita Stolbizer asked authorities to look into “suspicious movements” in the accounts and safe box belonging to the former president’s daughter.

Fernandez was dogged by corruption allegations during her eight years in the presidency. Since leaving office in December, she has also been included in investigations involving allegations of state fraud and possible illegal enrichment.