Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. WHAT SOUNDED SIMILAR TO 2008
Melania Trump’s speech to the Republican National Convention contained two passages that match nearly word-for-word the speech that first lady Michelle Obama delivered at the Democratic convention.
2. TRUMP’S FUNDRAISING SHIFT NOT FAZING SUPPORTERS
An AP poll finds that backers of the billionaire presidential candidate are mostly in favor of him raising money just like the rivals he once disparaged as the “puppets” of big donors.
3. ISLAMIC STATE TAKES RESPONSIBILITY FOR GERMAN TRAIN ATTACK
The group’s claim came just hours after a 17-year-old Afghan asylum seeker attacked passengers with an ax and knife, injuring five people.
4. US POLICE DEPARTMENTS HAVING OFFICERS PAIR UP
In response to deadly ambushes in Texas and Louisiana, the safety precaution could slow response times for low-level crimes and drive up overtime for already exhausted officers.
5. BALTIMORE NOT QUITTING FREDDIE GRAY CASES
After three straight acquittals, prosecutors in Maryland’s largest city seem to be willing to try the remaining three cases against police officers amid mounting pressure to call it quits.
6. PITFALL FOR SELF-DRIVING CARS: THE HUMAN BRAIN
Experts say the development of self-driving cars depends on an unreliable assumption: that the humans in them will be ready to step in and take control if the car’s systems fail.
7. PYONGYANG’S MOTIVE FOR FIRING BALLISTIC MISSILES
North Korea’s latest launches are an apparent protest of South Korea’s decision to allow the deployment of an advanced U.S. missile defense system in the country, Seoul officials say.
8. FEDS WILL WEIGH CHANGING FUEL STANDARDS
The U.S. government issues a report on fuel economy and greenhouse gas standards for U.S. cars and trucks, and will review whether to leave the standards in place through 2025.
9. ‘ORIGAMI ROBOT’ COULD FIX SERIOUS STOMACH PROBLEMS
If your child has swallowed a small battery, a tiny, ingestible robot could be a new tool for extracting it.
10. RUSSIAN OLYMPIANS AWAIT RIO FATE
The executive board of the International Olympic Committee meets to go over options in the wake of a report that outlined a state-run doping scheme.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU