JUBA, South Sudan (AP) — UNICEF says 11 people have died in a suspected cholera outbreak in South Sudan.
The organization said Tuesday there are 72 suspected cases so far, including 36 in the capital, Juba. Others are in Bor and Terekeka counties.
South Sudan’s health ministry has not declared an outbreak because samples are undergoing final laboratory testing for confirmation, but a cholera response plan has been launched anyway, said ministry official Dr. Thomas Akim Ujjiga.
The ministry issued an alert Sunday after suspected cases started arriving Friday at Juba Teaching Hospital.
One suspected case came from inside a United Nations base in Juba, raising fears that it could spread among the 4,000 people sheltering there, said Ashley McLaughlin, spokeswoman for the International Organization for Migration, which manages the camp.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU