NEWARK, N.J. (AP) — The Latest on the criminal case stemming from the 2013 George Washington Bridge lane closures (all times local):
A federal judge in New Jersey has declined to dismiss an indictment in the criminal case stemming from lane closures at the George Washington Bridge in 2013.
Two former allies of Republican Gov. Chris Christie, including his former deputy chief of staff, face conspiracy, wire fraud and civil rights charges. They’re accused of causing traffic gridlock to punish a mayor for not endorsing Christie.
The ruling was released Tuesday.
Former Port Authority of New York and New Jersey executive Bill Baroni and former Christie staffer Bridget Kelly had argued that the government relied on laws that don’t fit the facts of the case.
They are scheduled for trial in September.
A second former Port Authority official, David Wildstein, pleaded guilty last year and is expected to testify for the government.
Lawyers seeking New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie’s cellphone records from the George Washington Bridge lane-closing case are using Watergate as justification.
In filings late Monday opposing an attempt to block a request for the records, they say they’ve established the likelihood the records are relevant under a legal standard set by the Supreme Court when it forced President Richard Nixon to produce audio tapes.
The attorneys represent indicted former Port Authority of New York and New Jersey executive Bill Baroni and former Christie staffer Bridget Kelly.
They argue the Gibson, Dunn and Crutcher law firm must turn over text messages the Republican governor sent during Baroni’s testimony to a legislative committee in 2013.
Christie has said he gave the phone to the government.
This story has been corrected to show that Christie, not the law firm, said the government had his phone.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU