COLUMBUS — Ohio State assistant coach Kerry Coombs has been promoted to the position of Assistant Coordinator, Defense by head coach Urban Meyer. Coombs, one of two assistants on staff who has coached in each of Meyer’s first five seasons at Ohio State, retains his positions as cornerbacks coach and special team’s coordinator.
“Kerry Coombs is absolutely deserving of this promotion to assistant coordinator, defense,” Meyer said. “He is an outstanding coach, instructor and mentor to the young men in this program. He is one of the best recruiters in the nation. He is incredibly loyal, and we at Ohio State are very fortunate that he loves this school and loves being a Buckeye.”
Coombs is in his sixth season with Ohio State. He has coached cornerbacks all this time and he is in his fourth season as the special team’s coordinator.
His outstanding tenure at Ohio State includes the truly remarkable — he’s had an NFL Draft history first with three cornerbacks taken in the first round of the past two NFL Drafts — and the remarkable: every one of his starters has reached the NFL. Consider:
• Both of his starting cornerbacks in 2016 — Marshon Lattimore and Gareon Conley — were selected in the first round of the 2017 NFL Draft, setting the record of three cornerbacks chosen over consecutive drafts. Lattimore went No. 11 to the New Orleans Saints and Conley went to Oakland with the 24th pick;
• Eli Apple was a first-round NFL Draft pick in 2016, taken with the 10th overall pick by the New York Giants;
• Doran Grant was taken in the fourth round of the 2015 NFL Draft by Pittsburgh;
• Bradley Roby was a first-round NFL Draft pick of the Denver Broncos in 2014; and
• Travis Howard signed a free agent contract in 2013 with Houston.
Each of those cornerbacks had outstanding careers as a Buckeye, but Coombs’ care and attention is now focused on the next corps of Ohio State cornerbacks, including Denzel Ward, Damon Arnette and four talented recruits who were a major reason that Rivals.com selected Coombs as its 2017 national recruiter of the year.
2017 Ohio State Football Coaching Staff
Urban Meyer — Head Coach
Tony Alford — Assistant Head Coach for Offense / Running Backs
Kerry Coombs — Assistant Coordinator, Defense / Cornerbacks / Special Teams Coordinator
Billy Davis — Linebackers
Ryan Day — Co-Offensive Coordinator / Quarterbacks
Larry Johnson — Assistant Head Coach / Defensive Line
Greg Schiano — Associate Head Coach / Defensive Coordinator / Safeties
Greg Studrawa — Offensive Line
Zach Smith — Wide Receivers
Kevin Wilson — Offensive Coordinator / Tight Ends
Mick Marotti — Assistant AD, Director of Football Sports Performance