FSR draws more than 113,000


By Michael Williamson - mwilliamson@aimmediamidwest.com



Tuesday, the opening day of Farm Science Review, brought heavy rain to visitors attending the event which ended Thursday.


Michael Williamson | The Madison Press

A blue sky hangs over an exhibitor tent on Wednesday at Farm Science Review. The weather was in stark contrast to Tuesday’s heavy rains. The three-day event ended Thursday.


Michael Williamson | The Madison Press

The Farm Science Review came to an end Thursday after a three-day run plagued by weather. Heavy rain pummeled the campus at the Molly Caren Agricultural Center in London on Tuesday’s opening and caused flooding and endless patches of problematic mud.

The next two days were slightly more successful, but still at the mercy of the weather with a mix of mud, sun and humid temperatures near 90.

“Attendance was still close to our average,” said Nick Zachrich, manager of Farm Science Review. “We’re happy that everybody was still able to come and enjoy three days with us.”

The second day of the review, Wednesday, had the largest number of attendees with 50,880 walking the grounds. This helped to put total attendance at 113,836 people.

Visitors had an endless supply of events and demonstrations to attend, from “Ask the Expert” seminars to drone demonstrations at the Beck’s Hybrids building on U.S. Route 40. There were also field demonstrations and other events going on beyond the Molly Caren campus.

At the Gwynne Conservation Area across the highway, members of Ohio State’s extension offices were giving talks on water quality and habitat preservation. Since the review attracts both working farmers and Ag students, talks and demonstrations are great opportunities to offer information on all things Ag.

This year, the review also had 642 exhibitors, a record-number for its 55th year. It was sponsored by Beck’s, JD Equipment Inc. and John Deere and featured more than 150 presentations. Covering a wide spectrum of topics allows the review to connect with a large body of people.

“About 85 percent of our show attendance comes within a hundred miles,” Zachrich said. “The other 15 percent comes from far and wide. So all the way from Maine to Washington.”

Despite the weather, Zachrich said, “2017 Farm Science Review went very well this year and we’re excited with some ideas on how we can improve this again for next year.”

Since planning starts way in advance, next year’s review is already set for Sept. 18-20, 2018.

Tuesday, the opening day of Farm Science Review, brought heavy rain to visitors attending the event which ended Thursday.
http://www.madison-press.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/37/2017/09/web1_FSRSponsorspiccol.jpgTuesday, the opening day of Farm Science Review, brought heavy rain to visitors attending the event which ended Thursday. Michael Williamson | The Madison Press

A blue sky hangs over an exhibitor tent on Wednesday at Farm Science Review. The weather was in stark contrast to Tuesday’s heavy rains. The three-day event ended Thursday.
http://www.madison-press.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/37/2017/09/web1_FSRDay1skypiccol.jpgA blue sky hangs over an exhibitor tent on Wednesday at Farm Science Review. The weather was in stark contrast to Tuesday’s heavy rains. The three-day event ended Thursday. Michael Williamson | The Madison Press

By Michael Williamson

mwilliamson@aimmediamidwest.com

Reach Michael Williamson at 740-852-1616, ext. 1619.

Reach Michael Williamson at 740-852-1616, ext. 1619.