Zoology, genealogy, young adult fiction and financial investing are among 10 elective courses included in a proposed Innovative Learning Series at Jonathan Alder (JA) High School next year.
Board of education members are expected to approve the series during their June 19 regular meeting.
High school principal Phil Harris told board members on Monday, May 12, student interest will determine the number and nature of course offerings in the series.
“This is student interest driven,” Harris said. “The kids must choose it.”
Each class will require a minimum of five students enrolled, he added.
JA administrators patterned the proposed coursework on the Innovative Learning Center in Hilliard City Schools. Current high school staff will teach the new electives.
Other classes in the proposed series are film studies II, microbiology, electronics, classical mythology, agriculture education and computer programming, Harris said.
In other meeting business on Monday, school board members:
• Approved a trip for six to 12 high school students to attend next year’s Global Leader Summit in Italy and Switzerland. The summit is scheduled for June 19-29, 2015. Harris said summit organizers selected JA for participation. It will be up to high school teachers to recommend attendees. All students will receive high school and college credit.
Cost is $5,000 per participant. Students will pay their own way, Harris noted.
• Approved a May 23 overnight “lock-in” for sixth grade students at Canaan Middle School. Students will reflect on their middle school experiences and prepare for admission to junior high, Superintendent Gary Chapman said.
• Authorized a request for proposals to install wireless Internet capability at the high school. Chapman said long-term plans are to also install wireless capability at the junior high building and Monroe Elementary School.
• Renewed district membership in the Ohio High School Athletic Association.
• Renewed a shared services agreement with Madison-Champaign Educational Service Center.
Jane Beathard can be reached at (740) 852-1616, ext. 16 or via Twitter @JaneBeathard.