A fire with a source that appears to have been electrical broke out at the Taco Bell restaurant on North High Street in Hillsboro on Sunday morning.
Paint Creek Fire Chief Bradley George said the department received a call about the fire at 5:56 a.m. The initial fire saw flames shooting through the roof, but the blaze was extinguished quickly, according to George, who said the aerial truck was brought to the scene to handle the fire on the roof.
“It was a pretty quick little fire,” said George, although it included heavy smoke at the west side of the building.
The fire appears to have been centered on the northwest side of the structure, and the building’s roof collapsed, said George. Like with similar restaurants, air conditioning and other units were located on the roof, said the chief.
Firefighters returned to the scene a couple of times throughout the day to make sure smoldering embers were extinguished, said George.
The chief said there did not appear to be anything suspicious about the fire. “It appears it will be electrical in nature,” he said. No one was injured.
All county departments plus New Vienna responded to the fire, said George.