During National Chiropractic Health Month in October, Dr. Vaughn C. Darding, of London, will join thousands of other doctors of chiropractic nationwide in promoting #PainFreeNation, a campaign to draw attention to the public health crisis caused by pain
The campoaign aims to raise awareness of how chiropractic services and other non-drug approaches to pain management can be a part of the solution to the pain crisis in the United States.
Darding will emphasize the value of exhausting these conservative forms of treatment for both acute and chronic pain before initiating higher-risk options as opioids.
“Chiropractic’s non-drug approach is particularly relevant today in light of the rampant overuse and abuse of prescription opioid medications, which the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has labeled an epidemic,” Darding stated in a release. “During National Chiropractic Health Month, the chiropractic professions encourages both patients and other health care providers to first exhaust conservative forms of pain management, when appropriate.”
The American Chiropractic Association offers the following information about conservative pain management for the public to consider when making choices about their health care:
• A conservative care model emphasizes more cost-effective and safer approaches over potentially addictive medications or surgery for pain management and health management.
• Conservative management of painful condition might include for example: chiropractic manipulation combined with exercise and stretching prior to moving on to treatments involving higher risk such as opioids.
• Chiropractic physicians are experts in the treatment of neuromusculoskeletal problems and their natural approach can in some cases eliminate or reduce the need for drugs and surgery.
• When other conditions exist chiropractic services may complement or support medical treatment by relieving the associated musculoskeletal issues and/or pain.
• For those who are pain-free, the exercise tips, posture recommendations and guidance on injury prevention routinely provided by chiropractic physicians can help people enhance strength and avoid pain and injury in everyday life.
Darding’s office is located at 1375 U.S. Route 42 SE, Suite A, London. He can be reached at 740-852-1543.