Upcoming events at the Mt. Sterling Public Library:
• There will be no Friends of the Library meeting in June or July. The next meeting will be held at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 11 at the library.
• Summer Reading Club “Every Hero Has a Story” will be held through Friday, July 31. All ages may participate. Read 10 books or listen to 10 audio titles. Record them on your reading log and turn them in for prizes while they last. Each adult that completes a log will be entered into a drawing to win a $10 gift certificate to Ben and Joys.
• Bradley T. Lepper from the Ohio Historical Society will present “The Great Hopewell Road: Ohio’s Ancient Superhighway” at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, June 16 in the library meeting room. The Great Hopewell Road was a set of parallel earthen walls built around the time of Christ. They began at the monumental Newark Earthworks and ran southwest in a remarkably straight line.
• The Columbus Children’s Theatre live performance at 10:30 a.m. on Tuesday, June 23 will be held in the gymnasium of the Mt. Sterling Community Center. This spin on the classic tale of Sleeping Beauty puts a spotlight on social issues and conflict resolution, all while parties take place and a castle goes into a deep sleep.
• Linda Mizejewski from the Ohio Humanities Council will be lecturing about how the woman detective has evolved from Miss Marple to the modern, edgy characters created by authors such as Sue Grafton and Patricial Cornwell at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, June 25. Professor Mizejewski teaches at Ohio State University and has written five books on the subject of women in popular culture. This event takes the place of the June Around Town Book Club.
• The Timmons Brothers will once again be presenting their annual Rock and Roll Trivia Show at 1 p.m. on Saturday, June 27 at the Mt. Sterling Community Center during the “Let Freedom Ring” celebration. This fact filled event challenges rock connoisseurs of all ages.
• Ladies Night Out will be held at 6:30 p.m. on Monday, June 29. They will be watching “McFarland, USA” based on a true story starring Kevin Costner. Rated PG. This is a potluck event, so bring any dish you wish to share. Popcorn and drinks are provided. A door prize is awarded every month. Open to adult women of all ages.
• The bookmobile schedule is open to the public is as follows. All stops will be alternating Wednesdays. Meadowview Senior Complex, 10:15 to 11 a.m., Midway (Firehouse), 2:15 to 2:45 p.m. and South Solon (Grace Church), 3:15 to 4:15 p.m., all open to the public.
• Storytime is a program for preschool children, ages 3-5 years old, held at 10:30 a.m. on Mondays. It is coordinated by the new Storytime Lady Miss Jill. Storytime lasts approximately 45 minutes. This is a fun, themed story and craft hour and is free, with no pre-registration required. All children must be accompanied by an adult. Childcare providers are welcome.
• Library hours of operation are as follows: Mondays and Wednesdays, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Tuesdays and Thursdays, noon to 7 p.m.; Fridays and Saturdays, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.; and closed on Sundays.
• Mt. Sterling Community Museum hours of operation are Mondays and Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and Fridays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. For more information contact Museum Director Steve Chambers at 740-869-9305.
For more information, call 740-869-2430 or visit www.mtsterlingpubliclibrary.org. The library is located at 60 W. Columbus St., Mount Sterling.