Mulch cause of Wendy’s fire


By Andrew Garrett - agarrett@aimmediamidwest.com



It was determined the fire Friday evening at the Wendy’s restaurant located at 262 Lafayette St. in London was caused by a fire in the mulch outside of the building.

It was determined the fire Friday evening at the Wendy’s restaurant located at 262 Lafayette St. in London was caused by a fire in the mulch outside of the building.


Andrew Garrett | The Madison Press

The Wendy’s located at 262 Lafayette St. in London caught fire before 6 p.m. on Friday. London Fire Department’s Station 360 received the alarm at 5:58 p.m. and arrived on the scene at 6:02.

Upon arrival, smoke was found coming from several locations, according to the report completed by London Fire Department Lieutenant Mark Foster. The source of the smoke was found to be a fire within an inside wall.

An access hole was cut in the roof and interior ceiling, as well as interior and exterior portions of the walls to gain control.

The fire started outside of the building in a bed of mulch, and was likely the result of a discarded cigarette, or possibly the mulch itself spontaneously combusting, Foster said.

The mulch bed in question is located in the corner between the entrance on the building’s side and before the drive-through. The fire managed to gain entry from the mulch bed to the interior of the structure via a space in the lower level or rise in the brickwork. Foster could not definitively state the reason for the space in brickwork, but thought it might have been built in for circulation.

London Fire Department received automatic mutual aid from multiple other departments, including Central Township Joint Fire District, Prairie Township, and Tri-County Fire Department, as well as Madison County EMS.

The scene was cleared at 8:16 p.m., according to the report.

There were no reported injuries to the quick response of management. “We were inside when we smelled something like wood burning so we evacuated everyone,” said manager Kevin Rex of Springfield.

The full extent of the damage and an estimated time of repairs is unknown at this time.

Representatives from Total Quality, Inc., the corporation owning the fast food restaurant according to the Madison County Auditor’s Website, were not available for comment.

It was determined the fire Friday evening at the Wendy’s restaurant located at 262 Lafayette St. in London was caused by a fire in the mulch outside of the building.
http://www.madison-press.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/37/2018/04/web1_Wendysfire8278col-1.jpgIt was determined the fire Friday evening at the Wendy’s restaurant located at 262 Lafayette St. in London was caused by a fire in the mulch outside of the building. Andrew Garrett | The Madison Press

By Andrew Garrett

agarrett@aimmediamidwest.com

Reach Andrew Garrett at 740-852-1616, ext. 1616.

Reach Andrew Garrett at 740-852-1616, ext. 1616.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU