On Tuesday, London City Council went down to two council members.
At Thursday evening’s council meeting it was announced that Lora Long, formerly Ward 3 councilwoman, was tapped by the Madison County Republican Central Committee (MCRCC) to fill the position of city auditor.
The office has been vacant since former city auditor, Nick Szabo, resigned on Dec.17, an action related to the audit being performed by the Ohio Auditor of State, David Yost’s office — a matter on which neither the city nor the state will comment.
Long was appointed on Monday evening and wasted no time getting to work as the city auditor the very next day, according to London Mayor Pat Closser.
Long’s appointment leaves a vacancy for the Ward 3 seat — the second vacancy to occur in a two-week period.
The first opening was created in Ward 1 from the recent resignation of former councilman, Trint Hatt.
As both seats were held by Republicans, the MCRCC will make appointments to the positions on March 6.
Any person interested in being considered for appointment for their respective ward is encouraged to contact the mayor or MCRCC Chairman Nick Adkins.
Michelle Anderson was appointed to the Board of Zoning Appeals by the mayor and his appointment was approved by council.
The City of London submitted a request to the state legislature for $400,000 in funding needed to complete the Access Cowling Project at Cowling Park. The funding request will be for the State Capital Budget and will be considered in February.
If the city were to receive the requested $400,000, it would enable all eight phases of the Access Cowling Project to be completed without having to resort to the community for more fundraising.
The city encourages its residents to contact their state legislators to voice their support for the project.
The city asks that the following template be used when e-mailing a letter (most important being the first sentence): “I am calling to ask for your support for Senator Bob Hackett’s capital budget request for upgrades to Cowling Park in the City of London for kids with developmental disabilities.”
In your own words:
• Explain your interest in the Access Cowling project and the efforts to address the issue of providing a locally available, free, public, accessible and inclusive play space for area families.
• State your reason(s) for supporting Access Cowling and the State Budget request for funds.
As the premier park in the City of London, Cowling Park is in need of renovations so that children with disabilities…ALL children and their families have locally available, public, accessible and inclusive play space. While the project was able to begin through generous donations from the community, more funds are needed to complete the project.
I humbly ask for your support for capital dollars to complete this accessible project at Cowling Park in London. If you have any questions, I can be reached at [your telephone number].
Thank you for your consideration.
The following is the list of legislators to contact:
• Bob Hackett (R), District 10; 614-466-3780; http://ohiosenate.gov/hackett/contact
• Larry Obhof (R), District 22; 614-466-7505; http://ohiosenate.gov/obhof/contact
• Scott Oelslager (R), District 29; 614-466-0626; http://ohiosenate.gov/oelslager/contact
• Bob Peterson (R), District 17; 614-466-8156; http://ohiosenate.gov/peterson/contact
• Joseph Schiavoni (D), District 33; 614-466-8285; http://ohiosenate.gov/schiavoni/contact
• Charleta B. Tavares (D); District 15; 614-466-5131; http://ohiosenate.gov/tavares/contact
• Bill Dean (R), District 74; 614-466-1470; http://www.ohiohouse.gov/bill-dean/contact
• Ryan Smith (R), District 93; 614-466-1366; http://www.ohiohouse.gov/ryan-smith/contact
• Fred Strahorn (D), District 39; 614-466-1607; http://www.ohiohouse.gov/fred-strahorn/contact
• Emilia Sykes (D), District 34; 614-466-3100; http://www.ohiohouse.gov/emilia-strong-sykes/contact
• Sarah LaTourette (R), District 76; 614-644-5088; http://www.ohiohouse.gov/sarah-latourette/contact
• Cliff Rosenberger (R), District 91; 614-466-3506; http://www.ohiohouse.gov/clifford-a-rosenberger/contact
• Thomas Patton (R), District 7; 614-466-4895; http://www.ohiohouse.gov/thomas-f-patton/contact
• Dorothy Pelanda (R), District 86; 614-466-8147; http://www.ohiohouse.gov/dorothy-pelanda/contact
Reach Andrew Garrett at 740-852-1616, ext. 1616.