Feb. 23, 1917
Madison County Democrat — Mr. and Mrs. William Beedle entertained the Married People’s Card Club at their home on Tuesday evening. The prizes were awarded to Dr. H. F. Jackson and Mrs. George Mitchell. (Bill Beedle was the manager of the canning factory.)
• The members of the Domestic Science Club met Wednesday afternoon in the Commercial Club room. The most interesting features of the meeting was a lecture by Miss Maude O’Key for the Home Economics Department of the Ohio State University. Her subject was “Household Management.”
• Rev. C. E. Hill during Saturday and Sunday had a gospel team from the Y.M.C.A. of the Ohio State University who took charge of the church services at the Methodist Church in West Jefferson. Sunday services were held at both the Methodist and Baptist churches for men and boys.
• On Thursday afternoon a party of little folks gathered at the home of Mr. and Mrs. W. W. Poulson to remind their son, Gerald of his sixth birthday. The following were present: Harry Jackson, Marvin Shepherd, Donald Moore, Earl Martin, Charles Wise, Kenneth Merrick, Charles Gregg and Gerald Poulson. From 3 to 5 o’clock the little folks played various games, after which a dainty lunch was served. They all departed for their homes, wishing Gerald many more happy birthdays.
The Madison Press — May 24, 1956 — In observance of Rural Life Sunday, the Darby Grange members enjoyed a basket dinner at the Hall, Sunday, May 20, which was followed by a program. There was group singing. The speaker was Rev. Eley of Pataskala former minister of the West Jefferson Methodist Church. He was accompanied by Mrs. Eley and Mr. and Mrs. Edward Flugee, all former residents.
• The West Jefferson Council at their meeting on May 21, authorized the representative of the engineering firm of Burgess and Niple, to proceed with plans for the development of additional sewage disposal facilities in the vicinity of Skunk Hill. In other business council discussed the repair of the streets.
• The Ladies Nite Bridge Club was entertained last week at the home of Miss Ruth Murray. Those awarded prizes for highest score were Mrs. Leon Garrett, Mrs. Albert Gregg and Mrs. Conklin Jackson.
• Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Coe announce the birth of a son, born at White Cross Hospital, Saturday, May 19. He was given the name of Kevin Lyle. Mr. Coe is a teacher in the West Jefferson school system.
Charlie Miller is the former mayor of West Jefferson and local historian. He has been writing West Jefferson 100 years ago off and on since 1976. He can be reached at Charlie_m_miller@yahoo.com.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU