Jan. 19, 1917
Madison County Democrat — Miss Mary Stickley who has been suffering with tonsillitis for the past two weeks was able to resume her duties at Dayton on Monday.
• Revival meetings began at the Big Darby Baptist Church on Monday evening at West Jefferson.
• The Commercial Club has elected the following officers: President, John Murray; vice president, Jonah A. Baber; secretary, John Bidwell; treasurer, Roy Wood; directors, C. F. Kuehner, James W. Baber, Ashton Gregg, Robert C. Millikin, S. G. Feder, Forest G. Brown and James McDonald.
• The Married Peoples Card Club were entertained with a turkey dinner at R. C. Millikin’s last Tuesday evening. (Bob Millikin served as Post Master 1945-1957.)
• Mrs. Harry Zane, of Akron, has been the guest of her mother, Mrs. Caroline Kuehner. (Mrs. Harry Zane was Mrs. Caroline Zane. She was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Martin Kuehner Sr. and had the same name as her mother. She was born in 1882 and died in Phoenix, Arizona in 1960. The Kuehners had a dry good store in the building on Main Street that collapsed.)
• “Have you any special qualifications for this job you are asking for in our establishment as floorwalker?” “Oh yes sir! My twins have just been teething.” Baltimore American.
The Madison Press — May 2, 1956 — The West Jefferson High School Senior Class will leave Wednesday evening, May 9 by bus to go to Washington, D.C. and will return home Monday night, May 14. They will visit places of historical significance and on the way home will tour the battlefield at Gettysburg. Accompanying them are Mr. Buckman, Mrs. Philip McDaniels, Mrs. Bryson Evans and Mrs. Esther Chambers.
• The Catholic Youth Group has reorganized and elected the following officers: President, Tom Tinkler; secretary-treasurer, Jane Gessner; religious activities, Mary Ann Daugherty, and Miss Peggy McKinley is the advisor.
• The West Jefferson Fire Belles met at the club room in the firehouse on April 26 with Mrs. Richard Hockenbery as hostess. Two new members were received into the membership, Mrs. Raymond Carter and Mrs. Frank Jester.
• Mrs. Frank Cox, Madison Drive, entertained in her home with a baby gift shower, honoring Mrs. William Morgan of Grove City on April 28. Those enjoying the occasion were: Mrs. Charles Pier, Mrs. Jack Morgan, Mrs. Richard Ater, Mrs. Dale Cox, Mrs. Melissa Cox, Mrs. Herbert Allerton, Mrs. Milo Harrison, and the Misses Anna Speasmaker, Iva Jean Sidner, Martha Rice, Peggy McKinley, Emma Jo Cox and Marilyn Kronk.
Charlie Miller is the former mayor of West Jefferson and local historian. He has been writing West Jefferson 100 years ago off and on since 1976. He can be reached at Charlie_m_miller@yahoo.com.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU