Coover Memorial Club House celebrating 100 years


Historic building is home to London Federation of Women’s Clubs

Staff report



The Coover Memorial Club House is celebrating its 100th anniversary with a tea party.


Courtesy photo

The Coover Memorial Club House in London is celebrating its 100th anniversary with a tea party.

The London Federation of Women’s Clubs was organized April 13, 1913, when three clubs decided to join to serve more worthwhile projects. The clubs were the East High Street Club, organized in 1887, The Woman’s Club, organized in 1892, and the Twentieth Century Club, formed in 1898.

“Today in 2015, after 100 years existence, the London Federation of Women’s Clubs continue to urge greater awareness of the importance of women in the community by its many projects,” a spokesperson said.

In 1915, Bertha Coover and Esta Coover Harvey bequeathed $7,000 to the federation for the purchase of a club house. From these funds a permanent meeting place was purchased from the Dixon Estate.

The club was named Coover Memorial Club House in honor of its benefactors.

The tea party will be held from 2 to 4 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 9 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Coover Memorial Club House, 134 N. Main St., London.

Everyone is invited to attend.

The Coover Memorial Club House is celebrating its 100th anniversary with a tea party.
http://aimmedianetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/37/2015/07/web1_CooverMemorialClubHousepiccol.jpegThe Coover Memorial Club House is celebrating its 100th anniversary with a tea party. Courtesy photo
Historic building is home to London Federation of Women’s Clubs

Staff report