Fire guts home
By GREGG RETTIG
London Fire Department Lt. Mark Foster credits the quick action of Curtis Young for avoiding any injuries during an early morning fire Sunday.
Fire broke out in a two-family home at 34 N. Walnut St. Young was awaken about 2:30 a.m. Sunday. He realized what was happening, went next door and alerted the residents there.
Everyone made it out safely.
Young then ran a block-and-a-half to Station 360 and alerted firefighters.
When firefighters arrived on the scene a couple of minutes later, flames already were venting through the roof.
Foster said firefighters entered the structure, made sure no one else was in it and then fell back to fight the blaze, which destroyed the dwelling.
Foster said he believes the source to be electrical, with fire spreading through an interior wall to the roof.
“It’s a balloon-frame home, which means there are no firewalls in it,” Foster said. “We believe the fire was electrical and may have started in a standard crawl space.”
The home did have working smoke detectors, but they did not sound initially, Foster said.
Crews from London, Central Townships and Jefferson Township spent the next couple of hours dousing the flames.
“Both ladder trucks from London and Jefferson were putting 1,000 gallons of water a minutes on it. It still took us a couple of hours to get out all of the hotspots,” Foster said.