West Jefferson boys capture invitational
By Gregg Rettig
AMANDA — The West Jefferson boys track team took first place last Saturday while running at Amanda Clearcreek High School in the Cole McCafferty Invitational.
“The boys put forth a great effort on Saturday, despite the chilly weather and wind affecting times and distances,” Roughriders coach Nick Millican said. “The boys thrived in individual events.
“The key for them winning the invitational was their ability to pick up extra points besides just a first and second. We had multiple events with two runners/throwers placing. That was the difference maker.
“The girls team was missing some key runners and took third place overall.”
West Jefferson boys’ results were as follows:
• Shot put: David Kelly, 41-5 feet (second place), Andrew Lewis, 36, (third).
• Discus: Andrew Lewis, 110 (first) and Joey Lowe, 100 (fourth)
• High jump: Evan Golden, 5-4 (first)
• Long jump: Tre Cahill, 17-4 (third) and Evan Golden, 17 (fourth)
• 4×800: Third
110 hurdles: Jacob McCandlish (first)
100: Tre Cahill (second)
• 4×100 relay: Second (Lowe, A. Bare, Golden and Cahill)
• 400: Steven Lollo (fourth)
• 300 Hurdles: Jacob McCandlish (first)
• 800: Cole Bare (second) and David Kelly (third)
• 200: Tre Cahill (first) and Evan Golden (second)
• 3200: Colton Delay (second) and Zach Maxwell (third).
• 4×400 relay: Second